Director of Education
Pop Culture Classroom - Denver, CO
$70,000 a year
Pop Culture Classroom, a Denver-based literacy & arts nonprofit, is seeking a Director of Education to lead and grow our innovative educational programs. The Director of Education is a key member of the organization’s Leadership Team and plays a critical role in fostering a collaborative and supportive organizational culture. We seek an energetic, organized and creative individual who can help us maintain, improve and expand our diverse curricular and programmatic offerings.
If you have a strong background in education and program administration and you believe in the transformative power of pop culture, we encourage you to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish and implement programming goals, including, but not limited to: improving the efficacy and usage of PCC’s premier curricular products: Storytelling Through Comics and Game On!; developing PCC’s onsite classroom in Denver’s Valverde neighborhood as a thriving center for pop culture education; implementing rigorous program evaluation to demonstrate program effectiveness and maintain PCC’s internal ethic of continuous improvement
- Create, review, revise and update Classroom programming and curriculum in conjunction with Executive Director and Educational Team
- Develop educational programming for Denver Comic Con in conjunction with DCC Staff and Educational Team
- Ensure programmatic and curricular offerings follow mission
- Oversee development of necessary content for curricular products
- Develop new relevant organizational networks and maintain existing relationships
- Oversee related Educational Team hiring
- Supervise Educational Team employees, interns and volunteers
- Ensure proper training and oversight for direct reports
- Oversee all aspects of programmatic evaluation and reporting; ensure evaluation methods align with best practices
- Design and manage annual budget
- Work with Marketing Team to promote Classroom programming goals
- Stay abreast of current graphic literature and pop culture media as relevant to job
- Periodic travel to attend and present at local, regional and national conferences
- Other duties as assigned
- Masters degree in Education and/or fields related to job responsibilities
- 5+ years of teaching experience (preferably in K-12)
- Experience with developing, implementing, evaluating, and refining educational programming, preferably both formal and informal
- Experience with utilization of pop culture as an educational tool
- Experienced in philosophical and practical educational research, with an ability to implement findings in curricular projects
- 2 years experience managing teams of employees and/or volunteers
- Aware of current best practice in educational systems
- Ability to manage complex curricular development
- Existing networks in education and/or nonprofit sectors
- Familiar with state and national curricular education standards
- Familiar with contemporary pop culture
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills, excellent interpersonal skills, detail oriented, skilled with Microsoft Office software, and a variety of teaching techniques.
- Able to work in an office environment with periodic travel to professional conferences
This is a full-time (40 hr/wk) position based at the PCC offices. A flexible schedule is necessary, especially during the time leading up to and during the Denver Comic Con (June 2018) when additional hours of work will be necessary. Annual salary is $70,000. PCC also provides a flexible spending benefit and a generous vacation policy.
To apply: Please see our website http://popcultureclassroom.org/pcc/jobs/ for application details. If applications are not received via the requirements on the website, they will not be considered. Applications must be received by Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Pop Culture Classroom is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 /year