Wall Artwork(s) Historic Downtown Liberty, MO
City Hall- Community Development
101 E. Kansas
Liberty, MO 64068
Entry Deadline: 2/26/18
Days remaining to deadline: 33
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
View Site Details
Project: Wall Art – Corner of 2 N. Water Street & 8 E. Kansas St. – “Liberty” Themed Artwork(s)
The City of Liberty is issuing a call for artists to create artwork that would cover 15 individual panels (approx 6 ft tall by 12 ft wide) hung side by side to adorn a temporary wooden façade (6 ft. tall by 160 ft. wide) at the corner of Water and Kansas Streets in Historic Downtown Liberty. The wall serves as a visual barrier for a vacant lot located at the SE Corner of the Historic Courthouse Square.
We are looking to create a mural that is appealing to area residents and visitors. Preferred themes could celebrate community and/or culture with elements that will draw people from around the Kansas City Metro, and visitors to KC, to Liberty for a photo opportunity. The panels should be light-hearted and capture the essence community pride, inclusivity, and equity.
Artists who draw, paint, make prints, work in computer or graphic design, photography, etc. are invited to apply. Must be 18 or older to apply, and be willing to sign a legal agreement and waiver. Once installed, each piece artwork must require limited maintenance and withstand the area’s climate and weather for up to two years.
“Panels” refers to the 15 sections, which selected artists will design using the medium of their choosing that adheres to the below guidelines. Panel dimensions as follows:
▪ 13 12’x6’ panels (5 panels on Water St., 8 panels on Kansas St.)
▪ 1 10’ x 6’ panel (A diagonal or angled panel on Kansas St.)
▪ 1 5’ x 6’ panel (a panel on Water St.)
• Some of the panels have a unique shape and the committee will consider how the art will look in the designated space when making the assignments.
● The wall is built completely out of unpainted or additionally primed CCA treated plywood. Canvas artwork will be directly fixed to this wall via staples. If you choose to paint directly on the wood, that is also permitted. Photos of the blank wood wall are included as an attachment to this application.
●Use the references below to serve as a launch point to explore Liberty’s history and culture:
▪ Visit Liberty Mo tourism website: www.visitlibertymo.com
▪ History of Liberty: www.libertymissouri.gov/2120/History-of-Liberty
▪ William Jewell College History: http://www.jewell.edu/about-jewell/history
▪ Liberty Public School District: www.lps53.org/
▪ Historic Downtown Liberty, Inc.: www.historicdowntownliberty.org/intriguing-history/
● Sample murals and artwork from around the country that served as inspiration to the committee for this Call for Artists are http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/8-street-art-murals-across-the-us-that-were-basically-made-for-instagram
● The artists will be selected by members of the Public Art Committee that includes members of the Liberty Arts Commission, the property owner, representatives from Historic Downtown Liberty, Inc., and City Staff. The group will select proposals they feel fit the City’s culture.
The Call Options
Artists will select one of three options for their proposal, you may:
A. Create a proposal for one individual panel from the dimensions listed above
B. Create a proposal for all panels on either N. Water or all panels on E. Kansas
C. Create a proposal for all panels, on both streets, the entire façade
Please be prepared to submit the following items in the online application. All files should be submitted in as .PDF, PNG or JPG and be sized approximately 1880 pixel on the longest side @ 100 dpi
▪ Resume (Maximum 2 pages)
▪ Outline which proposal option you are choosing
▪ 3-6 examples of previous work
▪ Detailed Project Description, including:
o A literal description of the artwork
o A description of the concepts in the proposed piece
o How will this work contribute to a visitor’s experience of downtown Liberty?
o An artist statement describing wall art experience and interest in the project
▪ 1 to 5 sketches or digital illustrations of the proposed mural panel
▪ Proposed budget for reimbursement of materials
▪ There is no application fee. All artwork will become the property of the City of Liberty at the time of hanging.
▪ The Liberty Arts Commission will provide the canvas and the hardware for attaching the artwork to the façade if you choose. The artist will be responsible for the remaining materials.
▪ Option A Honorarium: Up to $150 per panel
▪ Option B Honorarium: Up to $1750
▪ Option C Honorarium: Up to $3500
▪ Applications are due by February 26, 2018
▪ Artists will be notified by March 20, 2018
▪ Weather permitting, artwork(s) should be completed by April 27, 2018