Media Images: 5
View Site Details
The City’s Visual Arts Commission seeks an Artist or Artist Team to create a vibrant two-dimensional work of art to be installed on the interior hallway wall(s) of the Chilson Recreation Center located at 700 East 4th Street in Loveland. This hallway serves as a main connector to all areas of this very active, family-friendly recreational facility. The location receives prime exposure to an average of 1,400 daily visitors.
This project is open to any Artist or Artist Team with demonstrated experience in creating artworks of similar scale. Artist(s) will be selected based upon a review of their past work.
Scope and Project Description
The Scope of Work would include the design and implementation of a completed work. The artwork can be of any two- and/or three-dimensional material and may include any style; contemporary, traditional, abstract, etc. The commission desires the artwork to meet the following requirements:
- Utilize the theme of “Movement” (in its variety of interpretation)
- Artwork to be colorful and vibrant
- Reflect the activities within the space
- Multi-generational and broad community appeal
If the artwork contains 3-D elements it must be lightweight and able to be securely fastened to the building’s structure. All materials used for the artwork need to be durable and high-quality with the ability to withstand heavy pedestrian traffic.
During the fabrication process, the selected Artist(s) must include at least one hands-on educational component geared towards children. Applicants must describe their experience and proposed method of working with children. Depending upon needs for the workshop, space may be available within a City facility.
Artist(s) will be required to enter into a City contract and provide all of their on-site equipment and supplies. Artist(s) awarded this project will work closely with representatives from the City staff, the Visual Arts Commission and building owners to finalize the artistic design. The Artist(s) will work closely with City staff when coordinating activities.
An all-inclusive budget of $15,000 has been allocated for this project. The selected Artist(s) is responsible for all of their materials, supplies, fabrication processes and work at their own risk. The Artist(s) will be expected to carry their own general liability insurance. The Artist(s) are responsible for the preparation of the installation site and installing the completed work.
All applications must be submitted through (the CAFÉ website at: www.callforentry.org). The deadline for submission Friday, August 25, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Applicants must provide the following information:
- Statement of intent for this project, timeline of project from time of design acceptance, artist statement and brief biography. Please be sure to include your experience working with children and your approach to the educational workshop.
- Current resume, including 3 professional references
- Five images of completed large-scale work, similar in scope. Please include: Title of artwork, medium, location and dimensions year of completion
- Finalist(s) will be asked to provide a detailed all-inclusive budget, including but not limited to: materials, installation, labor, rental equipment, insurance, site prep, documentation, administration fee, artist fee, contingency, travel to and from site
Artwork Jury Process
Proposals will be juried by the Visual Arts Commission subcommittee, two representatives of the Recreation Center, and 2 community members. The jury may select up to three finalists, who will be invited to view the site with selection panel representatives. Finalists will have three weeks to prepare a proposal, for which a $500 stipend will be provided post-presentation.
Contact Suzanne Janssen, 970-962-2495 or Suzanne.Janssen@cityofloveland.org, for questions pertaining to this Request for Qualifications.