Information and Responsibilities:
This position will play a key role in the admissions process and will be involved in the full range of recruitment and field activities, including conducting on and off-campus sessions, participating in extensive recruitment travel and representing the Institute at a variety of admissions sponsored events. Travel, evening and weekend work are required. Additionally the position facilitates, tracks and reports on all applicant files as they move through the admissions process.
• Represent CalArts at high school visits, CalArts recruitment events, and at community college, national and regional college fairs
• Represent specific schools and programs (such as Film/Video) as assigned
• Contact teachers and counselors at secondary schools and community colleges regarding college fairs, and visits by CalArts faculty and admissions representatives locally and nationally.
• Conduct follow-up with prospective applicants by e-mail, phone, and social media
• Counsel prospective students and parents on CalArts programs, admissions requirements, deadlines, portfolio or audition requirements
• Assist with faculty portfolio/admissions review session planning, preparation, and set up as assigned
• Assist facilitating applicant processing during faculty portfolio/admissions review sessions as assigned
• Aid in the processing of disseminating portfolio and application materials to appropriate faculty
• Conduct follow-up with selected applicants for supplemental materials, scheduling of interviews or auditions, campus visits
• Maintain knowledge of the programs, curriculum, faculty, facilities and admissions procedures and requirements
• Maintain accurate, updated records and prepare periodic reports
• Conduct weekly on-campus information sessions and tours of CalArts
• Schedule, organize and confirm all on and off-campus portfolio reviews of prospective student work
• Manage a heavy volume of telephone and email inquiries from prospective students, applicants and admitted students
• Work some evenings and weekends and have the ability to travel locally or remotely for up to 2 weeks at a time
• Excellent communication, presentation and public speaking skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with Admissions co-workers, faculty, prospective students, and parents.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Active interest in and awareness of contemporary art and design practices.
• Social networking and computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Keynote and PowerPoint.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
• Academic recruitment experience preferred.
• Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license for off-campus recruiting visits.
• Bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts, Design, or Film is preferred
• 1 – 2 years relevant experience
• Experience in higher education admissions policies and procedures
• Experience with financial aid processes and programs
• Working knowledge of MAC computers
How to Apply:
Position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line: Admissions Counselor in order to be considered.
For more information, visit: https://calarts.edu/employment/admissions-counselor