Curator of Modern & Contemporary Art
The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
Job Title: Curator of Modern & Contemporary Art
Job ID: 41140
Location: Sarasota, FL
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular This is a non-tenure track faculty position.
Anticipated hiring at the assistant or associate curatorial level.
Conceives, develops and implements exhibitions, performs scholarly research, teaches FSU courses, and assists with fund-raising and donor cultivation.
- Conceives, develops, and implements a wide range of exhibitions (permanent collection focus, package, and partnered loan shows). Responsible for exhibition budgets, and the coordination of loan agreements and contracts.
- Scholarly research and collection interpretation (including catalogues, gallery didactics, other printed materials, gallery talks and lectures) with the aims of engaging diverse audiences with Ringling's holdings and raising the Museum profile nationally and internationally. Build and sustain relationships with curators, academics, collectors and other art professionals. Actively seek opportunities for enriching collections and programs.
- Teach courses in area of specialization at Florida State University. Assist in the FSU Museum Studies Certificate Program and undertake instruction in the curatorial studies part of this program. Work with the Museum's Education Department in creating programs for exhibitions, such as gallery lectures.
- Assist with fund-raising, identification of potential funding sources, donor cultivation and stewardship, and grant proposal preparation. Works with all departments within the Museum to further institutional goals and mission.
- Effective Communication - Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with staff members, colleagues, public, collectors, etc.
- Working Relationships - Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with donors, major museums and galleries. Ability to work effectively with others at all levels, individually and as part of a team.
- Meeting Deadlines - Ability to meet project deadlines.
- Prioritize and Multi-task - Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Equipment Operation - Knowledge of and ability to safely operate machinery, tools, equipment and materials used in area of work.
- Master's Degree in a related field with a high level if knowledge of Modern & Contemporary art and 2 to 3 years' curatorial experience.
- Reading knowledge of at least one foreign language.
- Knowledge of AAM policies and procedures.
- Ph.D. in Art History preferred plus 2 to 3 years' curatorial experience.
- Fluency in at least one foreign language.
The Ringling is a preeminent center for the arts, history, performance, and learning that is dedicated to bringing the past and contemporary culture to life through extraordinary visitor experiences. From its inception, The Ringling has joined the diverse visual traditions and theatrical spectacle of yesterday with the genre-defying global practitioners of today. A place of exploration, discovery and respite, The Ringling's campus in Sarasota, Florida (which includes the Museum of Art, Circus Museum, a historic home, an 18th-century theater and bayfront gardens) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Art Museum of Florida and part of Florida State University, The Ringling fulfills an important educational mission. The Ringling offers formal and informal programs of study serving as a major resource for students, scholars and lifelong learners of every age across the region, country, and around the world. For more information, please visit www.ringling.org
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
$50,000 to $60,000; Compensatory with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Open until filled